
Since my Mom's dementia is deep and constant, she may never "see" this. However, what this is really about, is my wish that when I visit her next week, I might penetrate her fog of dementia. I know it's rare that she recognizes anyone these days. These few lines - this short poem - are inspired by the Axis Dance Company performance, and, specifically, by Sonsheree Giles (the dancer-choreographer in the image). It's written for the few of us who love Mom and also wish to penetrate the fog. One of my childhood names was "Moonshine," derived from "Carolina Moon" - the song my next-door neighbor would sing when I entered his yard.
To Mom on her 90th - Your 2nd Daughter is On Her Way
I'll dance on your roof in my old pajamas
I'll shake you awake from your foggy foggy dream
If you don't see me, I'll make sure you hear me
If you don't hear me, I'll stomp 'till you feel me
I'll shake you up and make you tremble
The walls will crash as memory floods us!
Moonshine's here and I WILL be seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment