4.02.2011

Airplanes [Local Natives]

Unknown, 1935, Japanese Landscape






















The desk where you sit 
inside of a frame 
made of wood
I keep those chopsticks you had from when
you taught abroad in Japan

I love it all
[so much
I call]
I want you back, back, back, you back
I did not know you as well as my father, my father, knew you
every question you took the time to sit and look it up, look it up,
in the encyclopedia

I love it all 
[so much I call]
I want you back, back, back, you back
I love it all 
[so much I call]
I want you back, back, back, you back

It sounds like we

would of had a great deal to say, to say
to each other
I bet when I leave
my body for the sky the wait, the wait, 
will be worth it 

I love it all 
[so much I call]
I want you back, back, back, you back
I love it all 
[so much I call]
I want you back, back, back, you back

-- Kelsey Ayer, Local Natives

5 comments:

  1. You know when a song gets in your head, and you just play it over and over until it's written on your skin your skin sure as a tattoo after a sailor's night of drinking? This is that to me, even though I can see the words sit lamely on the page, and without the music making it sure as a heartbeat, it's not of the caliber of poetry.

    I like that it's not another anguished break-up song, but instead is about his grandfather.

    Yes, I want you back, back, back, you back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had dreams that leave me feeling like this. They've been rhythmic & full of desire. And somehow so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't make a comment until I had time to actually hear the song. In addition to it being a great song they are quite cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, I read your post wondering who it was about - ahhh - his grandfather. How poignant, and how dear the one who bothers to "look it up". I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, like Pamela, will listen to the song. I can't yet hear its heartbeat on the screen, as you note Ruth; though I have already fashioned in my forehead the vision of framed chopsticks.

    ReplyDelete