On the second of each month, post some poetry/prose that resonates with you, and use it as a talisman for the next month.
"Ink runs from the corners of my mouth. There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry."
~ Mark Strand, from Eating Poetry
I often pass an old rock house on a hill, and it's long entranced me. Last week I saw a For Rent sign posted on the road, so called the realtor who gave me the lock combination over the phone ("I trust you"), which gave me free reign to explore.
I sat on the living room couch and the porch chairs outside in the sun; I opened the cupboard doors and peeked in the washing machine to make sure no clothes had been left behind. I then tore paper from a kitchen pad to write down the poem that had been posted on the refrigerator:
...be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them; and the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, Live along some distant day into the answer... Rainer Maria Rilke
I can tell you feel it, earth-child. Me, too. Too much rain, too much cold. Now, we can watch the sun fill the earth.
ReplyDeleteI often pass an old rock house on a hill, and it's long entranced me. Last week I saw a For Rent sign posted on the road, so called the realtor who gave me the lock combination over the phone ("I trust you"), which gave me free reign to explore.
ReplyDeleteI sat on the living room couch and the porch chairs outside in the sun; I opened the cupboard doors and peeked in the washing machine to make sure no clothes had been left behind. I then tore paper from a kitchen pad to write down the poem that had been posted on the refrigerator:
...be patient toward all
that is unsolved in your heart
and try to love
the questions themselves,
like locked rooms and like books
that are written in a very foreign tongue.
Do not now seek the answers,
which cannot be given you because
you would not be able to live them;
and the point is, to live everything.
Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will then gradually,
without noticing it,
Live along some distant day
into the answer...
Rainer Maria Rilke