First, here's a littlepicture I like. Click
on it to see it larger.
I think the mosaic
is a bit like a poem.
And now, here's mine--Ruth said I should post it, and she's the boss.
A poem can be about anything
But it’s about nothing if it’s not written down
So
Reject the world’s bait, the guru says
But have you ever tried cheese
Wrapped in bacon?
You (space) would (space) love it,
She said
The world’s bait
Something we throw ourselves
Like throwing worms to a fish
Toss your line in the water
Jab the air with your finger and frown
Fish, don’t eat this
The fish never blinks, just lunges and swallows
Shall we wrap it in cheese?
* * * * * *
And this is the other one--I like the pictures it makes in my mind.
SELF - PORTRAIT
by Edward Hirsch
I lived between my heart and my head,
like a married couple who can’t get along.
I lived between my left arm, which is swift
and sinister, and my right, which is righteous.
I lived between a laugh and a scowl,
and voted against myself, a two-party system.
My left leg dawdled or danced along,
my right cleaved to the straight and narrow.
My left shoulder was like a stripper on vacation,
my right stood upright as a Roman soldier.
Let’s just say that my left side was the organ
donor and leave my private parts alone,
but as for my eyes, which are two shades
of brown, well, Dionysus, meet Apollo.
Look at Eve raising her left eyebrow
while Adam puts his right foot down.
No one expected it to survive,
but divorce seemed out of the question.
I suppose my left hand and my right hand
will be clasped over my chest in the coffin
and I’ll be reconciled at last,
I’ll be whole again.
Elaine, this is very funny - and very instructive. We are absolved of having offered our delicious, cheese-wrapped, bacony bait if we simultaneously shout out a stern warning. Hah! So many things I learn too late! I love it.
ReplyDeleteThe Hirsch poem leaves me laughing, too - it reminds me of the pitiable Steve Martin in the movie All of Me, dawdling while dancing, trying to motate with his female side pulling one way and his male side running the opposite direction. This is a wonderful picture of the conflict of battling impulses and the calamity of indecision -with divorce out of the question, no less! Wonderful.
The tile photo is eye-candy - visual bait. You're telling us "you'll __ love it." And I do.
ReplyDeleteElaine, your poem, too, has a terrific beginning. Just as Carolyn said: wonderfully "instructive." And instructive over all. As you have a penchant for doing in the poems you post, you tell me just what I'm hungry to hear. This time: Be the Fish -- Just Lunge and Swallow!
ReplyDeleteYup, "Self-Portrait" makes me grin, too. Hirsch's poems are often conflicted, but often with great sadness and regret (and beauty, great beauty), so this is a welcome surprise.
ReplyDeleteHere's a funny Hirsch story: Years ago I ushered him around Tulsa when he was in town to do a reading and workshop for Living Arts. (I was L.A.'s literary coordinator or something.) I'd pick him up in Mitchell's little burnt orange truck, take Ed to breakfast, to the event, back to his hotel, retrieve him from the hotel, take him to dinner. He was a great guest and driving companion. At one point, we stopped by my house to swap out the pick-up for my Chevy Nova. Casen wasn't even a year old then, and when I held him up to Ed, Ed leaned his huge head with his long Jewish nose into Casen's round face and said over and over, "What a white baby. I've never seen such a white baby."
"Have you ever tried cheese wrapped with bacon?" Oh, I love it. As we sit across each other at your favorite vegan restaurant, eating lentils, piles of kale, crunchy salad, exchanging stories and taking the bait of the world. "Jab the air with your finger", indeed. Thank you for sharing this (I am the boss).
ReplyDeleteGene, how many poets/authors did you host in Tulsa? My favorite was your story about (Rick Bass was it?) talking baseball with Mitchell, and you could only listen.
Wrestling! (They'd both been wrestlers in their youth. And how in the world did they get on that?) Talking wrestling while I !took care of the babies!
ReplyDeleteRick was visiting because he was on his way to Kansas for a reading, and he and I had been corresponding over a story he submitted to a literary magazine that I also worked for. Rick's story hadn't won Nimrod's fiction prize and he wanted it back. He even offered to pay to get it back. The publisher refused, because she wanted to publish it, regardless. Rick's and my correspondence began over me acting as go-between (I was editor, so the dirty deed went to me), so we became, for that time, friends of sorts.
(The publisher finally relented and I returned Rick's story. He went on to publish it in The Paris Review.)
I saw Rick Bass read at Black Oak Books. I just remember the lyrical quality of his words. And I remember his arms.
ReplyDeleteGreat story, Gene.
Elaine, I love the images you bring to the poems and your other blogs. Few can do so much with a phone!
His arms!? Do tell!
ReplyDeleteYes, do tell, Ruthie!
ReplyDelete