5.05.2011

What Remains





Since I'm late in posting, I thought I'd honor Mother's Day and some of our late mothers . . .











What Remains
by Marge Piercy

These ashes are not the fine dust I imagined. 
The undertaker brings them out from the back
in a plastic baggie, like supermarket produce.
I try not to grab, but my need shocks me,
how I hunger to seize this officially
labeled garbage and carry you off.


All the water was vaporized,
the tears, the blood, the sweat,
fluids of a juicy, steamy woman
burnt offering into the humid Florida
air among cement palm trees with brown
fronds stuck up top like feather dusters.


In the wind the palmettoes clatter.
The air is yellowed with dust.
I carry you back North where you belong
through the bumpy black December night
on the almost empty plane stopping
at every airport like a dog at posts.


Now I hold what is left in my hands
bone bits, segments of the arched skull
varicolored stones of the body,
green, copper, beige, black, purple
fragments of shells eroded by storm
that slowly color the beach.


Archeology in a plastic baggie.
Grit spills into my palms:
reconstruct your days, your odyssey.
These are fragments of a smashed mosaic
that formed the face of a dancer
with bound feet, cursing in dreams.


At the marriage of the cat and dog
I howl under the floor.
You will chew on each other's bones
for years. You cannot read
the other's body language.
On the same diet you starve.


My longest, oldest love, I have brought
you home to the land I am dug into
I promise a path laid right to you,
roses to spring from you, herbs nearby,
the company of my dead cats
whose language you already know.


We'll make your grave by piney woods,
a fine place to sit and sip wine,
to take the sun and watch the beans
grow, the tomatoes swell an redden.
You will smell rosemary, thyme,
and the small birds will come.


I promise to hold you in the mind
as a cupped hand protects a flame.
That is nothing to you. You cannot
hear. Yet just as I knew when you
really died, you know I have brought
you home. Now you want to be roses.

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear Pamela, this makes me weep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem's a wonder. So many images evocative of that slipping and sliding we do back and forth over that line between the here and the hereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me what it all means - I understand some of it- the parts about:

    - my need shocks me,
    how I hunger to seize this officially
    labeled garbage and carry you off.

    - I promise a path laid right to you,
    roses to spring from you, herbs nearby,
    the company of my dead cats
    whose language you already know.

    - a fine place to sit and sip wine,
    to take the sun and watch the beans
    grow, the tomatoes swell an redden.
    You will smell rosemary, thyme,
    and the small birds will come.

    - I promise to hold you in the mind
    as a cupped hand protects a flame.
    That is nothing to you. You cannot
    hear. Yet just as I knew when you
    really died, you know I have brought
    you home. Now you want to be roses.

    OK..ok. I guess I don't need as much help as
    I thought.

    It's beautiful!

    But, I still am working on this part:

    At the marriage of the cat and dog
    I howl under the floor.
    You will chew on each other's bones
    for years. You cannot read
    the other's body language.
    On the same diet you starve.

    Yes, it's beautiful.

    I am in Half Moon Bay, having just participated in a very long-promised, very meaningful wedding, and I hope they have a clue to each other's body language.

    Pamela,

    This is a wise and wonderful poem.

    Thank you.

    - C

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is a fine piece by Marge Piercy (I have a MP book of poetry, given to me by Pamela almost 40 years ago.) Each stanza rung achingly true in me, so that I wanted it to be over (stop the pain!) before it was. How timely for Carolyn to puzzle over the lines about the "marriage of the cat and dog" at a wedding. Did my parents read each other's body language? Even though they were cat and dog to each other, I suspect they did. The slightest shift, the folded arms, the impatient pacing. All were used to communicate what we could not in words.

    Thank you Pamela.

    And I'm lucky enough to have at least met if not known each of your mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a book of poems called Decreation, Anne Carson has a set of 14 poems about her mother. The collection is called "Stops", and while all are understated tributes to the pain of watching her mother suffer and then die, many of the titles are both wry nuggets and/or speak to what she doesn't say in the poem. So I record them here, for you.

    STOPS
    Sleepchains
    Sunday
    Lines
    Our Fortune
    No Port Now
    Would Be Her 50th Wedding Anniversary Today
    Some Afternoons She Does Not Pick Up the Phone
    That Strength
    Methinks the Poor Town Has Been Troubled Too Long
    Despite Her Pain, Another Day
    Nothing For It
    Her Beckett
    Beckett's Theory of Tragedy
    Beckett's Theory of Comedy

    As I just read over them, I was oddly reminded of sitting in a booth in a cafe in Michigan with my parents, flipping through the names of the songs in the jukebox (well, except no songs about Beckett).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleepchains

    Who can sleep when she--
    hundreds of miles away I feel that vast breath
    fan her restless decks.
    Cicatrice by cicatrice
    all the links
    rattle once.
    Here we go mother on the shipless ocean.
    Pity us, pity the ocean, here we go.

    --Anne Carson

    ReplyDelete