In those days, pretty much anything submitted to the now long-defunct Key West Arts Review got printed, including this. I was thrilled with the graphic, which I didn't see until the magazine was already on the stands.Elaine Merrill 02/03/2011
On the second of each month, post some poetry/prose that resonates with you, and use it as a talisman for the next month. "Ink runs from the corners of my mouth. There is no happiness like mine. I have been eating poetry." ~ Mark Strand, from Eating Poetry
In those days, pretty much anything submitted to the now long-defunct Key West Arts Review got printed, including this. I was thrilled with the graphic, which I didn't see until the magazine was already on the stands.
In the midst of padding on, do you still hear occasional yowls, thirty-two years later?
ReplyDeleteMore than I would like, but not as many as then.
ReplyDeleteour first posted work written by one of "us" Hooray! Thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteElaine, this is beautiful. So good that you can return to this difficult time through your poetry rather than as the mind evokes by surprise and cringe. Thanks for sharing the context - I love it that you "found" your piece cradled in someone's caring art. Padding on ...so apt...I shall do just that today (this week has brought me howls and yowls).
ReplyDeleteI think this is the first I've seen of your poetry? How could that be. So beautiful, and so Elaine-like. I wonder though, are the yowls such a bad thing? Yes, thank you for posting the first poem written by "us".
ReplyDelete