There is a
distance where
magnets pull,
we feel, having
held them
back. Likewise
there is a
distance where
words attract.
Set one out
like a bait goat
and wait and
seven others
will approach.
But watch out:
roving packs can
pull your word
away. You
find your stake
yanked and some
rough bunch
to thank.
- Kay Ryan
- Kay Ryan
Nice, Carolyn. Very very nice -- such fine imagery of the unexpected. I thank you for the goat bait leading me to the rough bunch.
ReplyDeleteVery true. I don't always like those attracted words but usually find them instructive. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI keep coming back to this poem. I read it and re-read it.I live next door to 50 goats and had never heard this phrase "goat bait." I'm thinking that when a rancher needed to catch a coyote, wolf or other predator they would stake one goat as bait? Then I keep circling around the intent of this rough bunch and feeling a personal conflict within my community and words and attractions that were all drawn together with a magnetic force I can't figure out. I've yet to come to the place where I feel thanks for the roughness. This poem has me exploring! Thanks.
ReplyDeletePamela,
ReplyDeleteTo me, it's an evocation of "putting it out" - as one does with bait - and waiting for those who come to comment - then the blessings flow, in their own rough way - our lessons unfold as the bunch commences their comments.
-edit- "as the bunch commence their comments."
ReplyDeleteThe magnets captured me first (like many, like Aidan, I have a fascination with moving magnets toward each other) and then was stopped by the "goat bait" (and had a similar reaction to Pamela's -- what is goat bait?). But everyone's' comments, taken together, make thank the entire rough bunch!
ReplyDeleteYesYes to the lessons' unfolding, Carolyn. Perfectly stated.
ReplyDelete